IT Challenges Facing Manufacturing
Today’s manufacturing industry faces a number of IT challenges that significantly impact business operations and profitability. Nearly all of these have data integration as foundational to success:
- Data silos: Manufacturing processes generate tons of data, but that data is often siloed within separate applications, databases, systems, and departments. That makes it difficult to get a holistic view of operations within the context of the entire supply-chain. And it’s also challenging to rely on siloed data to make confident, data-driven business decisions.
- Legacy systems: Many manufacturers rely on legacy systems that introduce special challenges when integrating with newer technologies elsewhere in the enterprise.
- Cybersecurity: Today’s manufacturers are more connected both within their firewalls and outside them, along multi-enterprise value chains. As a result, they’re more vulnerable to cyber threats and data security risks. Protecting intellectual property, customer data, and production systems from cyber attacks is a major priority.
- Supply-chain partner integration: Manufacturing processes increasingly require B2B integration with both suppliers and customers to streamline operations and enable efficiencies. Vagaries of data formats, access methods, workflows, and business rules make integration across company boundaries complex and labor-intensive.
- IT talent shortage: Sourcing and retaining skilled IT team members is challenging, especially in the manufacturing sector where competition from other industries is fierce. The same goes for IT data integration experts.
Adeptia helps manufacturers address complex data integration challenges with flexible, scalable, AI-powered, self-service solutions that provide transformational business results.