The Dark Side of Custom Coding
Customization is a buzzword in IT nowadays, but it has its dark side as well — especially when it comes to custom coding. The Behavior Analyst Certification Board®, Inc. (BACB®) can attest to that fact.
BACB® is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation established in 1998 to meet professional credentialing needs identified by behavior analysts, governments, and consumers of behavior analysis services. Aruno Johnson, IT and Project Management, BACB, explained the core problem: “Our CRM product was originally ‘off-the-shelf,’ but it had been highly customized for us and tightly integrated with our website. As a direct result, our biggest challenge had become stability. If the website crashed, so would the CRM. Our email sending service was unreliable, so our internal and external customers might not get the information they required. If we initiated a change in a business process or in one of our supporting systems, something else would inevitably break.” The net result? Business growth was inhibited.
BACB needed a streamlined data integration solution that would be:
- Easy to use. BACB’s IT resources were very limited. Any solution would have to be easy to implement and intuitive to use.
- Cost-effective. As a non-profit, BACB had budget constraints they needed to work within.
- Secure. With all the cyber threats present today, BACB wanted to ensure security throughout their system and communications.
- Pre-built. BACB wanted a solution that was pre-built to connect with their primary systems to avoid a repeat of their custom coding issues.
- Internally hosted. To maximize control and oversight, BACB wanted to host their solution in-house.
- Quick to implement. Due to the pressures of business growth, BACB needed a relatively short estimated time to production.
- Feature-rich. A wide range of features was desired, so that the solution could grow with the company.
The answer came through Adeptia, whose solutions connect CRM programs like Salesforce® and NetSuite®, storage programs such as Dropbox®, enterprise programs like SAP Business Objects®, and countless proprietary programs used to manage everything from shipping to social media.
Learn how Adeptia solved BACB’s custom coding problems and opened the door for business growth by reading the whole story here.